Today Samsung released a new addition to its 850 PRO SSD line, the SSD 850 PRO 2TB. This marks the largest capacity consumer SSD for Samsung and the first 2TB consumer SSD commercially available. Like the rest of the line, the new 850 PRO 2TB uses Samsung’s 32-layer 3D V-NAND 2bit MLC/3bit MLC. Samsung states that its 3D up to two times the density and write speed performance. The drive has 2GB of LPDDR2DRAM cache memory, SATA 6Gb/s interface, and comes with a 10-year warranty.
Samsung’s 850 PRO line is all about performance, and from our last review one can see that they can deliver on that performance. The latest drive also claims some pretty impressive numbers. On Sequential read speeds, Samsung claims the 2TB can hit 550MB/s and on sequential write it can hit 520MB/s. On 4K random tests the 850 PRO 2TB claims performance of 100,000 IOPS read (QD32) and 90,000 IOPS write (QD32). These are right about the same speeds that the lower capacity models claimed. The 2TB drive also has high reliability with 2 million hours MTBF and 300TBW. Samsung is aiming to take the performance of the 850 PRO line and bring it to the highest capacity drive that one can currently buy.
Like the other drives in the line, the 850 PRO 2TB comes with a 10-year warranty and a retail price of $999.99.
Samsung 850 PRO SSD Specifications (2TB)
- Capacities: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1TB, 2TB
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 100 x 69.85 x 6.8 (mm)
- Interface: SATA 6Gb/s (compatible with SATA 3Gb/s and SATA 1.5Gb/s)
- Form Factor: 2.5 inch
- Controller: Samsung MHX controller
- NAND Flash Memory: Samsung 3D V-NAND 2bit MLC
- DRAM Cache Memory: 2GB LPDDR3
- Sequential Read: Max. 550 MB/s
- Sequential Write: Max. 520 MB/s
- 4KB Random Read (QD1): Max. 10,000 IOPS
- 4KB Random Write (QD1): Max. 36,000 IOPS
- 4KB Random Read (QD32): Max. 100,000 IOPS
- 4KB Random Write (QD32): Max. 90,000 IOPS
- TRIM Support
- Garbage Collection
- AES 256-bit Full Disk Encryption (FDE)
- TCG/Opal V2.0, Encrypted Drive (IEEE1667)
- Weight: Max. 66g
- MTBF: 2 million hours
- 300 Terabytes Written (TBW)
- Power Consumption
- Active Read (Average): Max. 3.3W
- Active Write (Average): Max 3.4W
- Idle: Max. 60mW
- Device Sleep: 5mW
- Temperature Operating: 0°C to 70°C
- Non-Operating: -40°C to 85°C
- Humidity: 5% to 95%, non-condensing
- Vibration: Non-Operating: 20~2000Hz, 20G
- Shock: Non-Operating: 1500G , duration 0.5msec, 3 axis
- Warranty: 10 years limited
Design and Build
The Samsung SSD 850 PRO 2TB model looks identical to its smaller capacities with its minimalistic, slim black/charcoal design comprised of a flat black top with Samsung branding and a simple “Solid State Drive” text. It is of 7mm z-Height form factor, allowing it support a variety of applications such as notebooks, desktops, and ultrabooks.
When flipping the drive over shows a sticker with all the key information about the drive. The side profiles are equipped with four screw holes to allow seamless mounting of the 850 PRO.
When looking under the hood, you will see the highly vertically integrated components, including the Samsung DRAM, Samsung V-NAND and Samsung SSD controller. The 2TB model uses the Samsung MHX controller (compared to the 1TB’s Samsung MEX) and supports a SATA 6Gb/s interface, though it is also compatible with SATA 3Gb/s and SATA 1.5Gb/s. Looking further inside the 2TB 850 PRO will show 8x 128GB 32-layer 3D NAND packages and 2GB of LPDDR3 memory.